Monday, May 22, 2017

Self-Care with a Chronic Illness: Read

It's Arthritis Awareness Month! This month I am challenging you to take a little time each day and practice better self-care. Each day in May, I plan to share one simple way you can show yourself some love and appreciation.

Read.  How often do you read a book? 

To me, reading a book is very different than reading on my phone or computer. When I read a book, my mind gets totally caught up in the content rather than wondering what is happening on social media. It feels like my brain gets the break it truly deserves. 

I admit that when our fingers and wrists are sore, reading a book can be painful. But at the same time, I find that when I am in pain, reading about other people's experiences takes me out of my own and allows me to feel empathy for others. 

Not enough time to read? I find that even if I read 10 minutes a day in my favorite chair, I am ready to tackle the world again. 

1 comment:

  1. I am 100% with you Cathy. I stopped reading books the last time I was in college. I missed it so much.

    Almost the first moment the minute I got my last sign off, I ordered three books from Amazon made out of... OK the Kindle version was so much less expensive and I had credits and.....

    But then being an old fart, I went to the used book store and I sold 29 textbooks and put $2.00 with it and bought a used copy of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".

    Hey the best things deserve paper.

    ReplyDelete